Friday, July 13, 2007

Sabado Sa Ongpin

When i woke up today, Ryan was already up to trimming Czesca's fingernails. I washed my face and brushed my teeth then pulled out my old pair of rubber shoes, which has been sitting inside the shoe cabinet for i think almost 2 years. I have worn them less than ten times. I was feeling like burning some calories,but Ryan said it was already 11am, not an ideal time for jogging. anyway i ended up putting them back in the shoe cabinet, and taking a nice shower.

He said he was going to take us (along with yaya) to "Everything At Steak". He ate there with some Harbour Players and wanted to take me there eversince. He said the steaks there are monstrous (exxagg...)yet affordable. The branch they ate at was located at Wilson St. Greenhills. There's a newly opened branch in Ongpin. whoopee he quoted, we wont have to go all the way to Greenhills anymore :)

So we took pedicabs ( 1 for ryan and 1 for yaya, czesca and me). When we finally got to "Everything At Steak". I looked around and felt familiarity. why wouldnt I? the branch opened along San Fernando St. and was only a few steps away from an old place of someone i used to really know. (mystery. mystery :P)

The place was rather small. every table was fully occupied. We made our way up to the second floor and the area was also almost full as well. There was one empty table but it was reserved. Of course we made facial expressions saying "customers, customers". and yep, Luckily, they decided we could have the table. I took my seat and when they handed me the menu, I told the waitress I'm having whatever He's having. After a few minutes. I realized the Rumors were true.


The steak made the rice look like kimchi. Comparing it to Western Steaks, of course it was still way smaller. But comparing it to Philippine regular cuts of steak size. This is pretty big already. (You might have noticed that i defined it big rather than thick. ) Even TGIF's steaks arent thick. Filipino style. Unless you really demanded it be thick or you happen to be eating your steak meal in a 5 star restaurant. It can become 'thick'. :) Anyway, It made me realize that chewing can be tiring. I didnt finish the steak. It tasted okay by the way. Try it! :) pero mas feel ko ambiance sa Lime Tree

(Czesca also had fun, she was walking most of the time, too bad they didnt have high chairs for kids) Ang Kulit mo Czesca!

When we went down, waiting customers eagerly anticipated our exit, as Ryan continued with his marketing talk of how the steak was delicous and all. (I'm beginning to think he's being paid for it...haha) Anyway, during the ride home i kept thugging at the camera and clicking away. Ryan said it was annoying and people might think..."na spy ako?" i joked. I didnt really had a good shot because we were crammed inside one big pedicab, Csezca was sitting on my lap, leaning on my tummy and chest, while yaya's knees and my knees were head-to-head as she sat by the side infront of us. Ryan sat on my right. sa Pilipinas talaga, okay lang mag mala sardinas na siksikan :)

I told yaya "welcome to Ongpin". I love Chinatown. It's a messy place but i love it. The Kalesa is becoming quite an expensive ride these days. From 20php before. They are now charging 40-50 php. The Kutseros are no longer up to outdecorating each other's chariot. They are just regular working people trying to earn some money and get some G.I (Genuine Intsiks) to pay higher than necessary. They are losing chivalry. Its sad. I think the streets of chinatown would be even more entertaining if we keep the culture up.


The Binondo Church. ( the transparent plastic interior of the pedicab made the light reflections in this picture.) It was also hard to keep the pedicab driver's ass off this photo because He was just within range and I already have limited movements. Some Facts - This was built in the 16th century and the first Pinoy Saint, Lorenzo Ruis started here as an altar boy. (uuy...you learned something) At present one can also say, Chinatown housemaids now make this place a sunday venue for eyeballs (meet-ups) with their boyfriends or textmates. "ma'm magsisimba lang po ako" the famous lines. Its not so bad. Think of it as a teleserye love story.And not to worry, one can still go here for the church and its mass. Weddings are also frequent here. Romantiko lang talaga ang makipagtagpo sa simbahan. Kahit nga sa mga palabas noong panahon pag ang mag nobyo nagkikita, sa simbahan. Pag nagtatanan sila, sa simbahan rin.

In the heart of Chinatown.
Fruitstands, Chinese drugstores and groceries, people loitering around, sleeping in the streets is a usual scenery. What we may call Chinese
ghetto. The sounds of tapping horseshoes, the buddha-bless-you chants, the color of red and gold. The calligraphy. The motion. The restaurants and receptionists wearing high slitted one piece chinese costumes. The delicacies. Old men wearing white sandos tucked in their blue clothman pants sporting spartan like slippers , carrying chinese newspaper. The bargains. The paper lanterns. The lion statues. The bridges. The culture. You are the same.. anywhere in this world.

Sure i enjoy the high rising buildings of Makati. The wide roadways. The bright lights at night. The life. The Billboards. But when its time to come home. Take me home to dirty Chinatown.

this guy looks tired. nobody seems to care though! snore for the camera. :)



























No comments: